Monday, December 19, 2011
2. On Ubuntu guest machine, open Terminal
3. Type sudo mkdir /mount/vboxshared
4. Type sudo mount -t vboxsf SharedFolder /media/vboxshared to mount the VirtualBox shared folder as read. To make it read/write, use this command: sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 SharedFolder /media/vboxshared
If the shared folder is a permanent share and auto mount, make sure your user id in group vboxsf. To add a user id to group vboxsf, using command: sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf linuxuserid
Sunday, November 20, 2011
|Tablet||Apple iPad 2||Toshiba Thrive||Acer Iconia Tab A500||Samsung Galaxy Tab||Motorola Xoom Family Edition|
|Operating System (OS)||Apple iOS 4, 5||Google Android 3.1, 3.2||Google Android 3.1||Google Android 3.1||Google Android 3.1|
|Processor||1GHz dual-core Apple A5||1GHz Dual-core||1GHz Dual-core NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2||1GHz Dual-core NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2||1GHz Dual core|
|Memory (RAM)||512MB||1GB DDR2||1GB DDR2||1GB||1GB|
|Storage (ROM)||16/32/64 GB||8/16/32 GB||8/16/32 GB||16 or 32 GB||16GB|
|Expandable memory||None||Full-size SD Card slot. Up to 128GB SDXC||microSD, microSDHC||None||Up to 32 GB microSD card|
|Back Camera||1MP. Video recording, HD (720p)||5MP with auto-focus, 720p video capture||5MP with auto focus and single LED flash||3MP auto-focus camera with LED flash. HD(720p) Video recording||5MP auto-focus camera with LED flash. 720p video capture|
|Front Camera||0.3MP VGA||2MP||2MP||2MP||1.3MP|
|USB||No||Mini USB 2.0 port, Full-size USB 2.0 port||1 USB 2.0||No||Micro USB|
|Wi-Fi||802.11a/b/g/n||802.11b/g/n||802.11b/g/n||802.11 a/b/g/n Dual-band (2.4GHz, 5GHz)||802.11b/g/n|
|Battery||10 hrs||11 hrs||8 hrs||9 hrs||10 hrs|
|Weight||1.33 lbs||1.60 lbs||1.69 lbs||1.25 lbs||1.43 lbs|
Saturday, November 5, 2011
On Ubuntu: Using GPS Correlate
In the terminal:
To show the exif tags: gpscorrelate -s *.jpg
To remove the exif tag: gpscorrelate -r *.jpg
On Windows: Using a free software called IrfanView
Sunday, October 30, 2011
Many people choose to NOT enable Web History for privacy reason. However, when you activate Google+ service, you may accident enable Web History. For more information, read "Think You’ve Disabled Google’s Web History Tracking? Check Again" posted at TechCrunch.
To complete disable Google Web History, after login to Google Account, type this URL:
(Source: Alex at Google Web Search Community)
Sunday, October 23, 2011
- Make sure you know the admin password for PhpMyAdmin, if installed, before you upgrade. I forgot this password and it took me almost half hour to get out the infinite loop :(
- An hour for download and another hour to install.
- Remote desktop 'tsclient' was removed. Used 'RDesktop' or 'Remmina' instead. After using Remmina Remote Desktop client, I liked it. It's better than 'tsclient'
- Somehow the trash icon in launchpad associated with VLC media. Uninstalled VLC resolve this issue.
Saturday, October 15, 2011
- Backup your virtual machine by press <ctrl>-E to export appliance
- Go to Ubuntu Software Center to uninstall current version
- Install new version Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.1.4
- Install Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
- Run virtual machine and apply new version of Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Addition 4.1.4r74291
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Steve Jobs, the mastermind behind Apple's iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac and iTunes, passed away on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011. Jobs was 56.
Apple said in a statement on its website: "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple."
Well said, I have nothing to add. But I would like to share "one more thing". One of the things I learn from Steve Jobs in WWDC 1997: “And you know the hardest thing is, when you think about focusing right, you think well focusing is about saying yes. No. Focusing is about saying no. Focusing is about saying no. And you got to say no no no. And when you say no, you piss off people… and the result of that focus, is going to be really great products, where the total is much greater than the sum of the parts.”
Rest In Peace, Steve.
Sunday, September 25, 2011
"The Pencil Analogy" reminded me of my own painful experience almost 25 years ago. As the requirements kept changing, little by little, I ended up working for nothing. I did not make enough money to keep my roof over my head. I closed my first startup business and went to work for others.
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Three months ago, Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2011 ran from June 6 to June 10, 2011 in San Francisco. Steve Jobs introduced IOS 5 at this event. How long did it take to sell out? 10 hours. (http://blogs.computerworld.com/18047/apple_wwdc_2011_tickets_registration_sell_out)
Earlier this year, Google I/O 2011 from May 10 to May 11 also took place in San Francisco, California. The ticket to this developer event sold out in record time, not days, not hours but in minutes : 59 minutes. (http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/07/google-io-tickets-sell-out-in-59-minutes/)
Thus, we know which technology is most attractive to developer.
Saturday, August 20, 2011
I do some more research. It looks like that price for Canada only.
But for BestBuy in USA, it still $399
Even I cannot click thru the link at BestBuy.com, I check the special return policy for HP TouchPad
So I will stop by at BestBuy to check it out. If it's $99, I will buy it.
Saturday, August 13, 2011
The Open Source Definition:
1. Free Redistribution
2. Source Code
3. Derived Works
4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
7. Distribution of License
8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product
9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software
10. License Must Be Technology-Neutral
Sunday, July 24, 2011
This discussion "Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome on Dell 6510: cannot disable touchpad" on UbuntuForums.org offered me a solution. Here, what I did on on my computer:
user@vn-software:~$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Receiver id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Receiver id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ ImPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Sleep Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Dell WMI hotkeys id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Integrated Webcam id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
Device ID for my mousepad is 13. Let find out what properties on device 13 are:
user@vn-software:~$ xinput --list-props 13
Device 'ImPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint':
Device Enabled (127): 1
Coordinate Transformation Matrix (129): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
Device Accel Profile (250): 0
Device Accel Constant Deceleration (251): 1.000000
Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (252): 1.000000
Device Accel Velocity Scaling (253): 10.000000
Evdev Axis Inversion (254): 0, 0
Evdev Axes Swap (256): 0
Axis Labels (257): "Rel X" (137), "Rel Y" (138)
Button Labels (258): "Button Left" (130), "Button Middle" (131), "Button Right" (132), "Button Wheel Up" (133), "Button Wheel Down" (134), "Button Horiz Wheel Left" (135), "Button Horiz Wheel Right" (136)
Evdev Middle Button Emulation (259): 0
Evdev Middle Button Timeout (260): 50
Evdev Wheel Emulation (261): 0
Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (262): 0, 0, 4, 5
Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (263): 10
Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (264): 200
Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (265): 4
Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (266): 0
The Device Enabled property for device #13 (Touchpad) is 127 and it set to 1. Let turned it off.
user@vn-software:~$ xinput set-prop 13 127 0
It worked! I loved it.
So, to enable the touchpad, I will using this command "xinput set-prop 13 127 1" on my computer. Please note: The device ID and device enabled property for the touchpad on your computer may not same as mine. You need to find out yours by using commands 'xinput list' and 'xinput --list-props' as describe above.
Updated Aug. 13, 2011: Make sure you check device number by using command "xinput list" before disable your touchpad. Otherwise, you may disable the wrong device.
Sunday, July 17, 2011
1. Download 64-bit Linux package from Eclipse.org. Please select the approriate version for your machine: Mac OS, MS Windows, 32-bit, 64-bit.
2. Extract the downloaded zip file: eclipse-jee-indigo-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz
3. Rename Eclipse folder in my home directory to Eclipse-Helios
4. Move the Eclipse folder from Downloads directory to home folder.
5. Re-install ADT Plugin for Eclipse Indigo (3.7)
6. After Eclipse restart, check, and enjoy new version Eclipse
Monday, July 4, 2011
Are they reliable and secure? How about the privacy of our faxes?
MyFax Free lets you send a fax for free to over 40 countries. This free faxing service is provided by Protus IP Solutions.
* Please note that existing MyFax® customers cannot use this free Service.
MyFax® is a trademark of j2 Global Communications, Inc. and its affiliates.
Ad on the cover page
Fax 1 document — max 3 pages
Max 2 free faxes per day
Send a Free Fax
No Setup Fee
Free Outbound Faxing
No Credit Card Required
Free Fax Service
Free fax cover page, No Ads
3 pages per fax maximum
2 free faxes per day maximum
Friday, June 17, 2011
Google Public DNS:
Level-Three GTEI Public DNS:
* Norton DNS by Symantec:
* ScrubIT DNS:
* In additon to block the bad sites that are potentially harmful to your computer, OpenDNS, NortonDNS and ScrubIT DNS allow you to set your owm content filtering policy.
Friday, June 10, 2011
1. Unzip wordpress-3.1.3.zip to a specified.
2. Make the virtual path for Apache web server:
sudo gedit /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
add a new line:
Alias /wordpress /home/yourusername/wordpress
restart sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
3. Type http://127.0.0.1/wordpress/readme.html on your browser to read some instruction.
4. Create MySQL database and user for WordPress
mysql -u root -p
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> create database wordpress;
mysql> INSERT INTO user (Host,User,Password) VALUES('localhost','wpuser',PASSWORD('wppass'));
mysql> grant all privileges on wordpress.* to wpuser@localhost;
mysql> flush privileges;
5. chmod -c 777 -R ~/wordpress
6. Type http://127.0.0.1/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php to install.
If you got this error message: "Error establishing a database connection", make sure user name and password are correct. It took me almost an hour to figure it out. For some reason, my MySQL password for wpuser@localhost is empty instead of a specified password that I set when I create a MySQL user account.
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-mono mono-apache-server2
1.2 Install the mono development tools packages:
sudo apt-get install mono-devel (optional)
2. Enable the Apache module:
sudo a2enmod mod_mono_auto
3. Restart Apache: sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
To test your setup, you can create a test page with the following content anywhere that Apache can see (i.e. /var/www/test.aspx)
Saturday, May 14, 2011
Setting Up Git Repository on Remote Windows Server?
Hosting Git Repository in Windows
An Illustrated Guide to Git on Windows
What is the Best Git GUI (Client) for Windows?
Git For Windows Developers – Git Series – Part 1
Hosting a Git server under IIS7 on Windows
Setting up a Msysgit Server with copSSH on Windows
Setting up a Git server with Windows Server 2008
Everyday GIT With 20 Commands Or So:
Develop with Git on a Google Code Project
git vs Subversion - pros and cons
Svn vs Git
Pro Git professional version control
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
2. Download thinkorswim_other_installer.sh
3. Change the thinkorswim_other_installer.sh to execute mode
4. Install to your home folder /home/username/opt/thinkTDA
Monday, April 25, 2011
On the eve of the launch of Motorola Droid by Verizon Wireless, I started working on Android. I picked Android because its huge potential market. Second, I can utilized my current tools to develop mobile apps without spending more money. With this current economy, I need to save for the rainning days. I can use my existing Windows system to develop an Android app. On the other hand, I need to spend thousand dollar more to purchase a MacBook for iPhone development.
System Requirements (http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html) need to install in order
1. First thing first, download and install JavaTM Platform, Standard Edition Development Kit (JDKTM) if it's not exist in your system. For Ubuntu Linux, using Ubuntu Software Center to install and configure Sun Java(TM) Development Kit 6 sun-java6-jdk package.
2. Download and extract Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers to your root (C:\) in Microsoft Windows or your home folder in Linux. For Ubuntu Linux, the current version in Software Center is not up to date and you may forgot to install other required development plug-ins like eclipse-pde, eclipse-jdt in addition to Eclipse Integrated Development Environment, so just download the latest version from Eclipse.org site and extract to your home folder.
3. Download and extract Android SDK to your root (C:\) in Microsoft Windows or your home folder in Linux.
For Microsoft Windows, update system variables path=%path%;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools if necessary according to http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html
4. Download and configure ADT Plugin for Eclipse per instructions at http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclipse-adt.html#preparing
5. Adding SDK Components
Finally, working with the first simple sample project: "Hello, World" http://developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/hello-world.html
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Summary from Wikipedia and other places in internet:
3G is a generation of standards for mobile phones and mobile telecommunications services fulfilling specifications by the International Telecommunication Union. Application services include wide-area wireless voice telephone, mobile Internet access, video calls and mobile TV, all in a mobile environment.
4G is the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards. It is a successor to 3G and 2G families of standards. A 4G system is expected to provide a comprehensive and secure all-IP based solution where facilities such as ultra-broadband (giga-bit speed such as 1000+ MiB/s) Internet access, IP telephony, gaming services, and streamed multimedia may be provided to users.
Wi-Fi is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. It is not a technical term. However, the Alliance has generally enforced its use to describe only a narrow range of connectivity technologies including wireless local area network (WLAN) based on the IEEE 802.11 standards, device to device connectivity.
WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) is a telecommunications protocol that provides fixed and fully mobile Internet access. The current WiMAX revision provides up to 40 Mbit/s with the IEEE 802.16m update expected to offer up to 1 Gbit/s fixed speeds.
Ethernet is a family of frame-based computer networking technologies for local area networks (LANs). Ethernet is standardized as IEEE 802.3. The combination of the twisted pair versions of Ethernet for connecting end systems to the network, along with the fiber optic versions for site backbones, is the most widespread wired LAN technology. It has been used from around 1980 to the present.
Data transfer rates in order from low to high speed:
- 3G: 128Kbps to 384Kbps
- 10BASE-T Ethernet (Wired) 802.3: 10Mbps
- Wi-Fi 802.11b: 11MBps (Max)
- Wi-Fi 802.11g: 54MBps (Max)
- 100BASE-T Fast Ethernet (Wired) 802.3u: 100 Mbps
- Wi-Fi 802.11n: 300MBps (Max)
- 4G: 100Mbps (mobile) to 1GBps (fixed)
- WiMax 802.16m: 40Mbps to 1Gbps
- 1000BASE-T Fast Ethernet (Wired) 802.3: 1GBps
4G and Wi-Fi have almost the same bandwidth. The difference between them is in range. Wi-Fi is targeted to cover low range networks, while 4G was designed to replace high range mobile networks.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Which one is better?
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Update: Work around by import it to WordPress see http://wp.vn-software.com/