WordPress is web application you can use to create a beautiful blog or website. This is an open source software. You can get it free at http://wordpress.org/download/ . Before you install WordPress on Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), make sure you already install on your Linux machine: Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP).
1. Unzip wordpress-3.1.3.zip to a specified.
2. Make the virtual path for Apache web server:
sudo gedit /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
add a new line:
Alias /wordpress /home/yourusername/wordpress
restart sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
3. Type http://127.0.0.1/wordpress/readme.html on your browser to read some instruction.
4. Create MySQL database and user for WordPress
mysql -u root -p
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> create database wordpress;
mysql> INSERT INTO user (Host,User,Password) VALUES('localhost','wpuser',PASSWORD('wppass'));
mysql> grant all privileges on wordpress.* to wpuser@localhost;
mysql> flush privileges;
5. chmod -c 777 -R ~/wordpress
6. Type http://127.0.0.1/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php to install.
If you got this error message: "Error establishing a database connection", make sure user name and password are correct. It took me almost an hour to figure it out. For some reason, my MySQL password for wpuser@localhost is empty instead of a specified password that I set when I create a MySQL user account.